Last night I finally assembled this capelet that I have been meaning to make for months. I think I cut the pieces in December! Last fall I acquired a number of sample bolts of fabric from a local fashion designer, and this silk fabric was from one of those bolts. It's more of an oyster colour than it appears here. It's quite stiff but lovely, and so luxurious. It's possible that it was originally intended as a lining fabric, but I think it is too lovely to hide away. I don't mind if it looks a bit bridal because I will wear it with decidedly un-bridal clothing.
I had thought about making silk capelets for the Etsy shop but now realize that it wouldn't be ideal. A major issue is that this fabric has to be handled very carefully -- the slightest hint of water or steam and it's ruined. It would also crease very badly in transit.
So, this little capelet will just be for me. It will join my cape collection: so far I have a Paul & Joe Sister cape, and an A.P.C.-inspired cape. I never did keep a Blair capelet for myself.
I haven't decided how to finish it yet. I want to keep it simple. I had thought of making a scalloped hem (I practiced!) with a simple bow neck. I tried to make a ruffled neck but this fabric doesn't gather very nicely at all, either with a hem or a folded ruffle. I'm happy to take suggestions!