Pram on skis (sledge) on the ice, pushed by mom on skates. St. Moritz, Switzerland, 1926.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I have been going skating, as I had wanted to, for the first time since the 11th grade. I’m still pretty terrible at it and I feel like Bambi most of the time, but I’m really enjoying it! Since the rink is so close to where I live, it’s so easy to go on a whim for fifteen minute loops around the rink. Every time I go I think that it must be similar to how people who own pools must feel. “Just going out for a dip!”—only with way less privacy and way more packs of teenagers. I think of it as Ice Beach (just a touch of self-deprication there). It’s not even winter yet and it has yet to get really cold, so we’ll see if I keep it up. But I love things that are free (okay, yes, I pay taxes, etc., but you know what I mean).
Since it’s my current obsession, I like to compile lists of cute ice skating outfits and accessories in my head. Pretty on rinks!
1. I got this tassled scarf at Topshop recently and it’s the best! So much personality. They don’t seem to have it in stock any longer but there is a black one available here.
2. A good knit hat with a pom pom on it is essential for ice skating. This ALL Knitwear one is so cute.
3. This No. 6 wool coat looks so warm! (via Miss Moss)
4. Touchscreen gloves! So you can Instagram your skating party without getting your hands cold. I like the cashmere ones. Hot (cold?) tip: if you know a little basic sewing you can stitch some conductive thread onto the tips of your gloves! This is genius technology.
5. I could have easily included about ten hats that I love in this post, but I limited it to two. I love a beautiful trapper hat, and this alpaca one from Catbird is so luxurious.
6. As I mentioned earlier, I got my skates at a thrift store for cheap (they were in really great condition, nice and stiff at the ankles). They’re not proper figure skates, just recreational skates, which is all I need since I will not be performing spins on the ice any time soon/ever. I mostly glide. I did have to get new laces, but those are easy to find online. I’ve been using camel-coloured ones lately.
7. I have been going a little bit pom pom crazy and recently I made these faux fur poms and then made them into tassels. Not sure how I’d use them but I like them anyhow. They seem appropriate.
8. Warm, thick socks are essential.
9. If I went skating indoors I could wear this Twenty-Seven Names dream dress with my cute hats and legwarmers.
I really enjoyed Erin’s ice skating outfit here.